Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sit Spot Journal - Day 3


You can laugh at my little junco if you like. I know it's not very good.
I've always been jealous of those beautifully decorated nature journals that have lovely little drawings floating around beautiful prose written in lovely handwriting. You know the kind I mean.
My attempts to create something like that have fallen flatter than the only cake I have ever tried to bake. However, I do know that practice is needed to get better at anything. I have no illusions that practice will make perfect. Better is what I'm hoping for. So in addition to my 20 minute Sit Spot routine, I'm also practicing drawing my little feathered friends. I hope the practice helps.
Today I sat from 9:15 p.m. to 9:35 p.m.
This Sit Spot was a tough one for me. I didn't get home from a meeting until 9 p.m. The dogs needed to out. Chores needed done. It was dark, cold and very windy. Tonight I sat facing a new direction, so the wind hit my back instead of my face.
Sounds. The only sound I heard was the wind snarling around the mountain. Sometimes the wind snarled nearby, sometimes the wind was still where I sat but roared further up the mountain. When I'm in the middle of a breeze, it often feels as though it's "everywhere" around me, and I can forget that wind is more often "here" and then "there" with calm areas only a few feet away. The trees in the forest help me remember that, as I can track where the wind is by the sound of it in the trees.
Sights. The nearly full moon hid all but the brightest stars. A plane sliced through Orion like an arrow, then bisected the moon. Dead leaves cling to the beech trees, scrabbling against the branches like fingers on a chalk board.
Tonight I was glad to go back inside the cabin.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Well it's better drawing than I can do. You doing a very good with this.