Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sit Spot Challenge - Day One

To begin:
I sit on my front deck, facing east, looking out into the woods. It is 7 p.m. and after dark on this February evening.

I can feel the temperature drop, minute by minute, as darkness deepens into night. Nature's sounds, the daylight sounds, have quieted. The birds are silent. The trees are silent. I still hear sounds but they are man's sounds. In the distance I hear people shouting over on the ski slopes, a train rumbling by miles away, a plane overhead. I am surprised at how much I hear out here that I can't hear when I'm inside the cabin.

The sky is clearing after a day of clouds. Baby Dog is with me, a mistake, I think. She is antsy, sticking her nose into everything and nothing, a bit of a distraction as I sit and do nothing.

I try to observe my surroundings, unused to sitting outside after dark with little to look at compared with the activity of day. After 5 minutes I am as antsy as Baby Dog and search for something to focus on, something to *do.* I persist and sit some more. After 15 minutes I begin to relax and the need to do something begins, just a little, to drop away.

The chill begins to reach under my coat, and after 20 minutes I am glad to return to the warmth of the cabin. I am more relaxed and quiet when I go inside. I think I will find sitting still for 20 minutes every day to be a challenge, but it's one that I can see value to. But next time, Baby Dog stays inside.

2 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Hmmm. That's really a challenge ... sitting out in the dark. But one that just may be worth while trying. One day soon, I'll have to do it!

Cathy said...

LOL, yes it would help if you kept Baby Dog in. ok this blog in now in my bloglines list. Looking forward to reading to the rest of them

www.thequietone.net