Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sit Spot Journal - Day 2

Sitting from 4:45 p.m. - 5:05 p.m.

Sitting in daylight is a lot easier for me than sitting after dark. Today, evening is approaching, but some of the birds are still out and about.

Sights: A male northern cardinal doing something on the side of the beech tree. It looks as though he's hanging on the side of the tree without benefit of a branch, but it could simply be that I can't see the branch he's on. It looks as though he's pulling at something on the tree. Bark? A bug? It's too far to tell, but he's very focused on his job, whatever it is. I also see juncos, the blue jays and several mourning doves. Everyone looks as though they're getting ready to find a good spot and settle down for the night.

The shadows grow ever longer, and I begin to see the sun leave the ground. Now the sun only reaches the bushes, then its glow disappeared from the smaller trees, and finally, only the top branches are still sunlit.

Sounds: People are playing paintball near enough to me that I can hear their shouts and the sound of the guns. They are much louder than the birds.

Sensations: From where I'm sitting, the wind seems still. I don't feel breeze on my cheek, and the branches of the trees are still. But the small pine next to me tells me a different story. Its light branches wave gently, like fingers through water.

I'm dressed warmly but after 15 minutes I start to notice the cold. Usually when I'm outside, I keep moving and that keeps me warm. Without motion, the cold sneaks in as daylight falls.

1 comment:

Cicero Sings said...

Sitting still for 20 minutes in the cool of the evening ... is chilling. Inspired by yourself, we sat out after dark last night to view the moon and the stars and to listen. I told D he had to be quiet if he joined me .... not hard for him ... he can sit still for AGES ... and he is a quiet kind of guy!